Shoutbox

« archive

officially saying goodbye
Thanks brother
Reluctantly I will, What is it again?
OUDAN, you gonna sign up for the new site?
Last one out, turn off the lights
GIG pick 1.25 SD traded to Denver for 1.29 and 4.09
cheers
You have been activated Scally
looks nice
sweet. im in pending approval
correct. ideally all leagues will be moving over
Pretty sure GIG and baseball leagues will be following suit shortly.
So all active leagues here will be at new site?
https://dynastysportshub.proboards.com We're moving leagues to a new site folks. Several users report not being able to access this site anymore. New board will have 3 admins instead of one absent admin so we should be able to keep things better updated.
1.3 pick in gig is on the block if anyone is interested
gotcha... makes sense. I just have draft brain right now and I'm a degenerate lol.
the thought was to wait until after the bulk of memorial day weekend so as to not stall out for a couple days, but I suppose there is no harm in it.
gig untimed start now?
Way to go QFL. Another great draft in the books
Poll: What should be done with relation to the rules on the trading of salary?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep the current system with no limits on the amount of future cap that can be traded
25.00%
4 25.00%
Adopt the new sliding scale, which limits cap trades to 100%, 50% and 25% over three years of the contract
75.00%
12 75.00%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Limit on the amount of salary that can be traded
The TL;DR – Currently cash exchanges are allowed to be made within trades as long as they don't exceed a player's annual salary in any given year of the contract.

The proposal is to create a framework which limits the amount of cap space that can be traded on a sliding scale – from 100% in the current year, to 50% in the second year, and 25% in the third year, with no payments in years four or five.

These ratios match the cap hit cost to releasing a player after our free agency deadline each season. 

This would take effect from the opening of trading in the 2025 season.

The detail:

There’s not a great deal more to add that isn’t in the TL;DR. It wouldn’t affect any deals already made, and would come into effect from the start of next season to allow GMs time to prepare and make any deals up to our free agent deadline this season under the current rules. Trades would still be subject to leaguewide vote.

There are some potential benefits to a sliding scale, which include:

- It would provide more certainty in trade negotiations in terms of how much can be offered/requested to be paid on a deal.
- It would reduce the dependence on the veto process to ensure trades represent fair value where GMs have to interpret the value of large future cap payments.
- It would help prevent new GMs from making potentially costly decisions when trading future cap.
- It could lead to a greater rebalancing of talent – if a competitor needs to offload a particularly onerous contract they must retain more of it on their books and/or give up more in prospect/draft capital to offset the cost to a rebuilder.
- It helps to emphasize the importance of cap space and contract value leaguewide, which could potentially deflate free agent deals/extensions that ultimately need to be traded away in the first place.

There are also some downsides, including:

- More damn bureaucracy – the imposition of the new rule gives less flexibility to GMs and is an increased restriction on trade negotiations from our current position.
- The rule is created for a handful of edge cases rather than run of the mill deals – the majority of trades don’t include second or particularly third year payments.
I vote to adopt the limits as long as we still note there must be value exchanged for the extra cap space.
QFL - Chiefs
GIG - Cowboys
TMW - H-Town Eagles
BTN - Rangers
BTL - Rockies
NP -Tigers
I don’t see the issue here. However, I think that any cap space traded to future years, like draft choices, should be tied to actually paying for that year(s) of league dues.

While I am not shying away from a rebuild, there might have been more people who would’ve taken the Pirates had the owner actually paid for 2024 by doing so. The amount of money he deferred to keep competing is absolutely insane. Over 1/3 of my cap space is directly from his buyouts, and the single-use buyout I used for Miles Mikolas took me to over half of my salary this year paying for the other owners wanton disregard for the future of his team.

EDIT: Granted, these are small amounts, but I have to deal with more buyouts and cash exchanges from this guy until after the 2027 season. It’s 4.2, 5.9 and 3 million respectively.

I think tying future cap space to paying for the league fee for those seasons will solve the same problem.
(02-27-2024, 15:18)PiratesGM (BTL) Wrote: I don’t see the issue here. However, I think that any cap space traded to future years, like draft choices, should be tied to actually paying for that year(s) of league dues.

While I am not shying away from a rebuild, there might have been more people who would’ve taken the Pirates had the owner actually paid for 2024 by doing so. The amount of money he deferred to keep competing is absolutely insane. Over 1/3 of my cap space is directly from his buyouts, and the single-use buyout I used for Miles Mikolas took me to over half of my salary this year paying for the other owners wanton disregard for the future of his team.

I don't think fantrax treasurer logistically allows this to happen.
(02-27-2024, 15:21)kylerap Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 15:18)PiratesGM (BTL) Wrote: I don’t see the issue here.  However, I think that any cap space traded to future years, like draft choices, should be tied to actually paying for that year(s) of league dues. 

While I am not shying away from a rebuild, there might have been more people who would’ve taken the Pirates had the owner actually paid for 2024 by doing so.  The amount of money he deferred to keep competing is absolutely insane.  Over 1/3 of my cap space is directly from his buyouts, and the single-use buyout I used for Miles Mikolas took me to over half of my salary this year paying for the other owners wanton disregard for the future of his team.

I don't think fantrax treasurer logistically allows this to happen.
I am in three leagues where it is required to do this if you trade future draft picks.  I will find out how.
Go to Treasurer and go to the Miscellaneous Fees tab and put in the amount and pay it.

Make sure the commissioner remembers so that they can apply a discount to future years when the league rolls over.

They can also reference the prior year treasurer to see who paid.

So it sounds pretty easy, and a post to a stickied thread somewhere in here should suffice for confirming payment for future seasons.
I am in favor of this. As a serial trader that often gets people to pay on cap, I do think it is a good tool to allow people to be able to attain more value for their players but can certainly be abused (including by me).

I think this cap on salary traded allows for deals to be done with reasonable money being exchanged. I vote in favor.

A side note, figuring out how to get people to pay into the future is something I am fine with.
I'm in favor
I'm for this change
i am for it