Shoutbox

« archive

officially saying goodbye
Thanks brother
Reluctantly I will, What is it again?
OUDAN, you gonna sign up for the new site?
Last one out, turn off the lights
GIG pick 1.25 SD traded to Denver for 1.29 and 4.09
cheers
You have been activated Scally
looks nice
sweet. im in pending approval
correct. ideally all leagues will be moving over
Pretty sure GIG and baseball leagues will be following suit shortly.
So all active leagues here will be at new site?
https://dynastysportshub.proboards.com We're moving leagues to a new site folks. Several users report not being able to access this site anymore. New board will have 3 admins instead of one absent admin so we should be able to keep things better updated.
1.3 pick in gig is on the block if anyone is interested
gotcha... makes sense. I just have draft brain right now and I'm a degenerate lol.
the thought was to wait until after the bulk of memorial day weekend so as to not stall out for a couple days, but I suppose there is no harm in it.
gig untimed start now?
Way to go QFL. Another great draft in the books
Poll: Would you like to change the free agent bidding increments?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, change the minimum free agent bidding increments
93.75%
15 93.75%
No, keep the existing free agent minimum bids
6.25%
1 6.25%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Change to free agent bidding increments
The TL;DR – To realign the bidding increments in free agency with the maximum contract years allowed for each total free agent contract under our rules.

Our current rules have bid increments of $100k on contracts up to $49.9m, and $1m for contracts above this.

The proposal is to keep the minimum raise at $100k for all free agents under $19.9m, which are the majority of free agency deals, and require a higher minimum bid of $500k for contracts between $20m and $49.9m, $1m for contracts between $50m and $99.9m, and $2m for contracts over $100m.

The detail:

While there haven’t been too many issues with FA dragging on and people don't often continually outbid each other with minimum raises over and over, it does happen occasionally, typically at the top end of bidding. The proposal here is to help speed up free agency, while also reflecting a more real life element to the bidding, and tying the bid limits in with the maximum length of contract our rules allow at each tier of free agency.

The proposal is:

1) Bids up to 19.9m - at least 100k higher than previous bid.
2) Bids from 20m to 49.9m - at least 500k higher than previous bid
3) Bids from 50m to 99.9m - at least 1m higher than previous bid
4) Bids over 100m - at least 2m higher

Each level is the equivalent of adding around 100k per year on a deal, with the exception of the higher end of level one, but I think this reflects the real life situation where a smaller contract is very much about the total guarantee, rather than an AAV, so a small increase in the total would likely sway a decision in such cases.

The last level represents a more significant change in the AAV, as beyond $100m our current minimum bid of $1m is adding less than 1% to a contract’s AAV, which seems an unrealistically small increment, and is where the majority of this bidding is likely to happen (eg: Jose Altuve last year).

There is an element that this is a solution to a very small problem, and that these few examples don’t merit complicating the rules further which I accept is a reasonable reason not to change things.

Questions/discussion can follow below.
While I'm in favor of bid increments, the proposal doesn't seem to solve anything. None of these increments would push me off my bid and seem like they are basically what people are minimally incrementing already
(01-31-2024, 15:03)thepetis Wrote: While I'm in favor of bid increments, the proposal doesn't seem to solve anything.  None of these increments would push me off my bid and seem like they are basically what people are minimally incrementing already
Copy and paste for me here as well.
Red Sox - NP (Administrator)
Dodgers - BTL
Personally, anything to prevent the 100k bid wars of old are a thing of the past, that is good.
Agree with linc
This is a good rule
The vote is passed. I will update the rules accordingly, and it will take effect from the opening of free agency on February 26th.